Sunday, September 4, 2011

Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under....?

Well I have officially been here 1 week today! Time is flying. It's actually been a busy couple of days (or nights really) so that always makes time go by faster.

We did end up going out on Thursday but we didn't go out to a bar. Most of the bars around here are mostly outside and it was just too cold! So instead Edi took me to dinner.  It was just the two of us which was nice because his house is always so busy with family and friends that we don't always have a lot of time to just hang out, just the two of us.  At most restaurants here there is a button on your table that you just push when you need something and the server sees it on a screen out back and goes over to your table. I like that concept.  Dinner was good. We ended up just splitting an app and a sandwich. I let Edi order for me because I have no idea what most of the menu says. I still browse it but I let him deal with the actual ordering business.  It is hard to get used to the idea that you don't tip here, but you just don't.  Servers get a salary here or a higher hourly wage. Which as a server I think that's cool on one hand, but also it allows the service to be sort of below par. The waitress was attentive, but not really friendly by any means. In the US you have to go above and beyond to make your guests happy in order to make some decent $$ and sometimes that doesn't even work. Here you are going to get paid as long as my meal gets in front of my face in a decent amount of time.

Nothing too interesting to report on Friday. I did go down the street to Edilaine's house (sister) with Arlete and hung out there while Arlete cleaned.  Edilaine works during the day and has school at night and her husband works with Edi at the car wash so they aren't home a lot. So naturally as the housewife of the century, Arlete goes over there once a week and cleans the house, does the laundry, etc...  They JUST moved out of Edi's parents house about a month ago so she figures she was doing it for them here, why not there too?  It's only about a 30 second walk from here to Edilaine's house.

Last night was fun fun FUN!  As soon as  Edi and Marco (Edilaine's husband) got home from work we all sat outside with the music playing, drinking beers. They do sell smaller 12oz bottles here, but they also sell by the liter, which is what everyone normally gets. Then everyone gets a glass, (just like 8oz) and passes around the bottles, sharing. 2 bottles turned into 4, then 6, then 8, then I lost count.....to be fair there were like 6 of us drinking. As I mentioned in my facebook, the music was BUMPIN'! But nobody cares because it is the weekend and its time to party!
At about 8:30 Edi and I went with Marco and Edilaine to a restaurant for dinner. It was one of Edilaine's friends birthdays so we were joining a crew! On the way there, Marco said he would put in some "American" music for me..... Next thing I know we are listening to Shania Twain's "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under"  hahahaha  Really? I appreaciate the effort, that's for sure.  Anyway we got to the restaurant and buckets of beer were ordered (4-1 liter bottles in each bucket) and platters of grilled meats and veggies and baskets of bread and everyone just passes everything around and shares. I was introduced to everyone and said it was ncie to meet them (muito prazer!) and then everyone wanted a picture with the American girl! I didn't mind. I was having a lot of fun. Everyone wanted me to say thier names and see if I could pronounce them correctly. When I did they all clapped. Then the live music started more beer was ordered and I heard my name being called over the loud speaker. Apparently Marco told the band about me and they wanted me to stand up. I did. Then everyone clapped. Woo hoo! Estados Unidos! Then.....we danced. Middle of the restaurant everyone got up from the tables and started singing and dancing. I didn't know the words but i liked the songs so I danced with everyone. We said our goodbyes at about 12:30. I like those people. I hope I see them again!

Now don't be fooled by the time. Just because it's 12:30 does not mean the night is over! This is Brazil dammit!  Marco brought us home (the night WAS over for he and Edilaine) and we grabbed Edi's car. We met his cousins about 5 minutes away at a bar/club. I call it this because I feel like it was a little bit of both. Had a bar feel, but dancing and lights like a club. Anyways, it was HUGE and it was pretty much packed. (Did I mention that I love the fact that I don't have to worry about getting carded? I don't even havebe fooled by the time. Just because it's 12:30 does not mean the night is over! This is Brazil dammit!  Marco brought us home (the night WAS over for he and Edilaine) and we grabbed Edi's car. We met his cousins about 5 minutes away at a bar/club. I call it this because I feel like it was a little bit of both. Had a bar feel, but dancing and lights like a club. Anyways, it was HUGE and it was pretty much packed. (Did I mention that I love the fact that I don't have to worry about getting carded? I don't even have to bring in a purse or wallet. Freedom!!) We made our way in ($15 cover for the guys, $10 for the ladies woot woot!) and I don't think I had one drop to drink while I was there (probably a good thing) we just made our way straight to the dance flor and danced until we left. Now I have to say, I really like the way everyone dances here. First of all, the music is live pretty much anywhere you go. I already love the songs that I'm hearing. Oddly enough it is kind of pop music with a country sound, or the other way around. I don't know but I like it and its fast and everyone sings along. But there's no RJ's (shout out to my Dover peeps) nauseating bumping and grinding, etc...  It is like one hand around my waist, the other hand in my hand and we are actually taking steps and moving around and actually dancing. I'll have to get video on my ipod next time because its fun to do and cool to watch. AND Edi was actually dancing. Who would have thought, I tried to get him to dance numerous times. All I needed was some Brazilian music and some legitimate dance steps. So at about 2:30 I was hot and tired and falling asleep on the dance floor so we called it a night, but that place was still jammin'.  I have no idea what time it actually dies down, if ever.

So there you have it. All in all a fantatic Saturday!  Today I don't know what is on the agenda, but the circus is in town (literally) and I think we night check that out tonight!  Thanks for reading!  Miss you all!

2 comments:

  1. Estou feliz que voce esta se divertindo!! Ask Edi if that means "I'm glad you're having fun!" It's from a translate app on my iPhone. It will even say it back to you! Anyway... I love reading your blog!! Makes me feel like I'm there. Can't wait for the next installment!!

    Eu te amo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is fantastic! When i read it, I can actually picture what is going on! Good for you, Janet! It seems like you are making a lot of memories!

    ReplyDelete