Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Back at It

It's been almost a week since I last posted on here but there have really only been a few days of action to write about so I figured I would start spreading these out!  As most of you know already this weekend was Edi's birthday.  It actually happens to fall on 9/11.  That being such a sad day in US history it is nice to have something happy to celebrate.  And actually his Aunt's birthday is the same day and his cousins birthday is 9/13 so it was quite the party!

As I mentioned before Edi's family rented out what I called an event hall of sorts but that really isn't what it is. I'll try and explain it better.  It is a property that the owner rents out.  It has a house (2 bedrooms, 1 bath, dining room, living room, kitchen) with a large outdoor area that is covered with a big stone BBQ pit for cooking.  It also has a pool, a covered garage sort of area, a smaller yard close to the pool and a larger yard with goal posts for playing soccer (or I really should say futebol)  It is about 20 minutes outside of the city that Edi lives in. It is in a much more rural area. It is down a dirt road and the only other things down that dirt road are more rented out properties so it's private which is nice too. Basically families rent out these properties for the weekends so they can have fun and be as loud as they want and stay up late, and eat and drink without having to worry about bothering neighbors, etc...   I remember going to a couple of these types of properties the last time I was here. His family likes to do this whenever there is a birthday or something to celebrate or sometimes just so the family can get together. Edi's family is so big that none of his family members houses would be able to accomodate everyone comfortably.  Plus it is a nice bonus to have a pool and a nice big yard.

They rented it out for Saturday and Sunday but most people had things to do during the day Saturday or they had to work so we went up once Edi and Marco got out of work.  There were only about 15 people there Saturday night. We got there around 7pm.  We had dinner and just hung out. All of the ladies grabbed chairs and started chatting while the guys hung around the BBQ cooking and telling stories. They started the music and the ladies started dancing. I obviously joined in. I spent most of Saturday night hanging out with Edilaine(sister) and Fernanda (cousins girlfriend) which was nice. Edilaine is always very nice to me and she knows some English so she was helping translate some things for me.  Fernanda I don't think has a mean bone in her body. She is always smiling and always pleasant. Eventually a Katy Perry song came on and I got very excited because I could actually sing the words to this song so I belted them out.  We stayed until about midnight then it was time to pack up and head home. All in all a pretty low key, fun night.

Sunday was when the real festivities started.  We got to the house about 11:30am.  We were some of the first people there but shortly threafter the whole family started arriving.   I cannot get over how big his family is.  I can say that I am very thankful that I was able to come to Brazil with Edi when he moved back in May.  I at least got to meet most of these family members at that time. I know that last time I was VERY quiet, VERY shy and stuck VERY close to Edi's side anytime that everyone got together.  This time I was happy to do my own thing and sit with whoever I felt like and some of them know a little English so they would try to tell me what they know. Or they would say something in Portuguese and I would stare at them, squinting, listening as hard as I possibly could and ask them to repeat themselves a few times and eventually I would get the jist of it and respond the best I could. People were asking me to come sit with them or go in the pool with them and it was nice to feel like part of the family. I didn't feel like so much of an outsider this time around.

Ana Laura wanted to go in the pool pretty early on and nobody wanted to go in with he so I bit the bullet and went in.  She had a blast. I was FREEZING but I had fun with her anyways.  She just LOVES to jump off the side of the pool and have you catch her. I remember doing that all the time when I was little yelling "Mom! Mom! Watch me! Mom!"  she was pretty much doing the same thing.  When she started shivering so much her teeth were chattering I figured it was time to get out.  I watched the boys play soccer, ate some food, listened to music, just relaxing.  I had changed out of my original outfit because it had gotten a little wet near the pool.  That was a mistake. I knew that the boys had started throwing water on each other and throwing each other into the pool but I wasnt paying close enough attention. Ana Paula (Aunt) was sitting next to me at one point and told me to be careful because she could hear them plotting to throw me into the pool. I told her they would have to try pretty hard, "I'm stronger than I look."  Well about 30 seconds later I would eat my words because I didn't see it coming until it was too late. Edi's cousin Sydney (he lived in the US for about 4 years) came charging at me and Ana Paula with a giant bucket of water. SPLASH!!   My dry change of clothes was now soaked from head to toe.  I think a few of the family members were watching to see if I would be mad. They don't know me that well so who knows how I would react?  Well obviously I didn't care. I laughed and told Sydney that I would get him when he least expected it. Then I figured since I was soaked I might as well go back into the pool!  i never did get Sydney back but I have plenty of time.  The rest of the day was fun. We left around 6pm and came home and crashed after a long day of fun.  All in all I think Edi probably had one of the best birthdays he has had in years getting to spend it with his family finally!

That is it for now I guess.  I'll update later this week!   Miss you all! Tchau!

No comments:

Post a Comment