Saturday, September 24, 2011

Decision accomplished!

Tomorrow marks one month here. I know I say it over and over but it does not seem like that long. Time is really flying! The weather is staying right around 80-85 degrees everyday. (except for today. It is a little rainy so it is only about 70) The nights are the perfect weather. Not so hot that I can't wear jeans but not so cold that I need a jacket. Perfection!  I check the weather in Dover now and then just to keep track of what its doing near home and I saw a frost warning the other day. HA!! A frost warning!!  Needless to say I am very happy that I will not have to hear about or see frost for a couple more months!

I finally exchanged some of the US dollars I brought with me for Brazilian Real last week.  When I first got here I know that $1(USD) was worth approximately R$1.40 (Real) which is pretty low. The dollar had been steadily decreasing in value for quite some time. When I changed it in last week $1 (USD) was worth R$1.64 (Real) so for my $200 that I cashed in I got R$328 which is not too shabby. Now looking at it today the dollar is worth 1.83 real which is great!  Hopefully the dollar keeps rising!  This is also why I didn't just trade in all my money for real at once. If I don't use all my money here and I change it back to USD I could lose money if it keeps rising and I don't want to lose any $$$$!!!

Well I do believe I have come to a decision on what my next step will be.  I WILL be flying home November 20th when my original scheduled flight is.  I will then proceed to work my little (ok not little) butt off for a couple of months and make enough $$ to get back here probably at the beginning of February.  *sigh*  I really did not want to be home without Edi for another 3 months but I don't really have any better options. I did it before, I can do it again. And this time will (hopefully) be shorter.  It would cost $$ to change my flight to a later date and even if I did come back to the US later than I originally planned I would still have to stay home for a few months to make $. That is reall what it all comes down to. Flying back and forth is expensive but options are limited. I originally thought of coming back in January but the tickets are a few hundred dollars cheaper in Feb.  Have I talked to anyone about the steps I would need to take to get a permanent visa? No. Should I? Yes. That HAS to be my next step.  I need to talk to someone that can really help me because everytime I email a question about my visa to the Brazillian consulate in Boston where I got it, the answers they give me are less than helpful.  I really think a lawyer would be my best bet. Immigration lawyer or something? I don't know. I'm new at this. 

In the meantime, Edi will be starting the process of applying for a tourist visa to the US.  THIS is going to be a process. First Edi needs to apply for a renewed passport since his will expire soon. This could take about 3 months.....  Next he needs to try and get an appointment just to apply for a tourist visa. We checked th other day and if he reqested the appointment today, he would possibly have an appointment in about 110 days. Awesome.  Next after he applies it takes god knows how long for them to review it, etc...  THEN once that is all said and done, he may not even be approved to get the visa.  So it toook me a few weeks to get my visa and I was pretty much guaranteed to get it. I never had to worry about that.  For Edi however, this process could and probably will take over a year for him to possibly get a visa and have the opportunity to come back. double *sigh*  Well at least we know what we are getting into!

Enough about visas and all that boring stuff. Tonight I believe (if the weather gets a little better) Edi is taking me to a place that he says reminds him of The Coat of Arms (which is a bar/restaurant in Portsmouth that I really like) and I do know for a fact that they sell Guiness (yum!) Heineken (Ew!) and Stella (eh...)  It's funny because Edi calls this the "American" bar but The Coat of Arms is a British Pub and none of those beers are american beers. But to Edi, The Coat was in America so to him, it's an American bar.  Good enough for me!! I'll be interested to see what other things have been "Americanized" there.

Random side thought.  I was at a BBQ the other day (shocker!) and I saw something funny that reminded me of someone (I can't even remember what it was now so clearly it was thrilling I'm sure...) but I instinctively went for my cell phone to text that person and then wuickly realized that was not going to happen. Even after a month here I forget that  A. My cell phone doesn't work here  B. It would not be as simple as picking it up and texting a friends number.  That's all, it was stupid but i had a nice little chuckle at myself.

That'll do it!  Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment