Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Take the Bad with the Good!

Well it certainly has been an eventful week here. Unfortunately the events have not been ideal.  On Wednesday Edi's cousin got in a motorcycle accident. It was pretty bad and he broke his leg, had to have surgery, and has some pretty bad road rash. He is home a recouperating but he will be off of his feet for at least 3 months and then he will begin physical therapy.  Yikes! His fiancee is American and she flew down the next day and will be here for 10 days total. This is the first time I have met her and she is very nice. It's nice to have another American girl down here for at least a litle while. 
So anyways that happened Wednesday and then Saturday night I noticed that I started to get a little bit of a rash on my neck and chest.  I figured it was just some sort of heat rash or something so I didn't pay much attention to it.  Well I guess it didn't like that because I woke up Sunday morning with a full on itchy rash all over my body.  My face was the worst.  i was doing alright for a little while. I just laid on the couch most of the day with a cold rag on my face to stop the itching. I knew scratching would only make it worse. Edi kept saying he would take me to the hospital but I told him it wasn't that urgent an we could just make an appointment tomorrow.  But by 7 that night I couldn't take the itching on my face anymore so off to the hospital we went!  I was obviously a little nervous because I had never been to a hospital in any other country before and I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  Well they treated me very well, the were very nice, my doctor spoke quite a bit of English and they let Edi stay with me the whole time since I couldn't communicate that well to the nurses.  The doctor checked me out and determined that it was definitely an allergic reaction to something, Probably something I ate.  Then I got a shot and an IV with something to relieve the itching/redness and a prescription for pills to take for the next week. Now when they told me I had to have a shot I rolled up my sleeve and the nurse just stared at me and Edi started chuckling......apparently they don't give you a shot in the arm here.....awesome. We had to hang out at the hospital for a couple of hours until the IV meds were all gone but as soon as the bag was empty I took a look in the mirror and the redness was WAY better and I wasn't nearly as itchy. Whatever they did worked! So today I am much better. Still a tiny bit red and itchy but the meds are definitely working.  I still have no idea what it was that made me sick so hopefully I won't come in contact with it again.

On a more fun note, we did go to Edi's great uncle's birthday party last night. I got to see some of his family that I hadn't seen yet since I've been back so that was nice. Also we have been researching a buch of places we might want to visit next month. Edi wants to take a week off of work so we can do a little traveling.  We were originally going to go to a resort in the forest with zip lines and rope bridges and fishing and horseback riding and 4 wheeling, etc, etc... but now that we have been looking, a beach vacation is just so hard to pass up so I think we changed our minds.  Needless to say I will keep you all updated on where we are going.

That's it for now kids. Sorry there's nothing more exciting to report.  Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment